Change in the filesystem from FFAT to LITTLEFS

Here you'll find the updated available
cicciocb
Site Admin

Change in the filesystem from FFAT to LITTLEFS

Post by cicciocb »

Hi,
as I already implemented in the new members of the ESP32 family, I'm implementing the LITTLEFS filesystem in the ESP32.
This is less resource consuming and should be faster than the actual file system.
Globally we can gain around 26KB of RAM.

So, for who want test, you can find here attached the version 1.50.1 LFS (for little fs).

As usual, I expect some feedback :lol:

EDIT:
THIS VERSION WILL DELETE ALL THE EXISTING FILES ON YOUR MODULE
MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RonS

Re: Change in the filesystem from FFAT to LITTLEFS

Post by RonS »

is the ESP32Cam also affected? and one more question right here:
I have problems uploading larger files (images) with the file manager - (SD Card is available) is there a limit?

greets
Modules : 3xESP32-Cam MB (Chip"DM ESP32 S" ),AI-Thinker Audio Kit (ES8388), ESP32 Dev Kit with Display
AndyGadget

Post by AndyGadget »

I just flashed 1.50.1 LFS to my ESP32 running the Quakes program and it reduced the time taken to write a 100 line text file using APPEND.FILE from 34 seconds to 9. I flagged up some time ago that file writes were much slower on ESP32 than ESP8266 and ISTR you said it could only be fixed by using a different file format. Looks like this is it :D
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:55 pm is the ESP32Cam also affected? and one more question right here:
I have problems uploading larger files (images) with the file manager - (SD Card is available) is there a limit?

greets
The version attached in the post is not for the camera but, I could also provide a version for it but this will not impact the sdcard that continues to use fat.
Maybe you can detail the problem you face in a separate post
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

[Local Link Removed for Guests] wrote: [Local Link Removed for Guests]Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:03 pm I just flashed 1.50.1 LFS to my ESP32 running the Quakes program and it reduced the time taken to write a 100 line text file using APPEND.FILE from 34 seconds to 9. I flagged up some time ago that file writes were much slower on ESP32 than ESP8266 and ISTR you said it could only be fixed by using a different file format. Looks like this is it :D
Thanks for your testing, I saw that is faster and use few ram so seems to be the ideal candidate for a next release.
There are probably some side effects, very difficult to identify without exhaustive testing.
Unfortunately updating a module deletes all the existing files but should not be an issue doing a backup before the update.

It could be very helpful if other people test it, in particular with application using intensively the file system such as serving web pages
AndyGadget

Post by AndyGadget »

Backing up and restoring files to a module is so much easier with the zip and unzip functionality you added. Not a problem at all now.
efalken

Post by efalken »

Quick testing with esp32. After backing up and restoring everthing I testet works flawlessly. Loading and saving and other file operations 'feel' to be quicker. No problems with anything I tested.
As allways, big thanx
Erhard