MQTT Broker

If doesn't fit into any other category ....
peridot

MQTT Broker

Post by peridot »

I think this may have been covered , by Oli ? perhaps. Anyway thought I may do a few trials myself.

My simple home "automation system" consists of Garden Solar battery powering 2 weather stations (one is all Annex) House power monitoring, 4 station irrigation, indoor temp, mostly I use ESPEasy for the nodes and several tasmota smart power switches. All this is stitched together with Node Red and a Mosquito broker running on a Raspberry Pi 4.

Until recently I displayed some output from these sensors on a couple of LCD displays coded in Annex [Local Link Removed for Guests] but I wanted to show a bit more info , add some charts link in some other pages from Node Red, as "neat" as Annex is with web pages its not a 5 minute job an in the end would not be what I wanted so I decided to try an old phone (I like many have several) running a MQTT display app, now there are several out there but I currently use this one.

This all works quite nicely but I wondered what if you didn't have an RPI server running a broker (and you didn't want to use one in the cloud like Hive) what would be possible using a standalone MQTT broker running on an ESP8266/32 , there are several out there but the only one I found that seamed to work properly, nearly out of the box by installing a binary image is this one. I used a simple ESP8266 ESP01. This particular firmware has a very nice serial or Telnet console so it could easily be paired with a esp32 running Annex to do other tasks like collect UDP or HTTP messages and publish to MQTT etc etc. It could even talk to the MQTT broker via serial to do the set up get running stats.

I did a bit of a test substituting the MQTT broker that is providing the data for my display panel with one running this firmware on an ESP01 and it does seems to work OK, some images.
Screenshot_2024-01-16-19-25-23 (Small).jpg
2024-01-16 19_55_43-MQTT Explorer (Small).png
2024-01-16 19_53_22-192.168.0.101 - PuTTY (Small).png
2024-01-16 19_51_08-192.168.0.101 - PuTTY (Small).png
2024-01-16 19_48_07-MQTT Explorer (Small).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Electroguard

Re: MQTT Broker

Post by Electroguard »

Impressive stuff, as usual.
lyizb

Post by lyizb »

Very nifty. I followed the links to https://github.com/martin-ger/esp_mqtt and watched the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K9q4IuB_oA. Lots to learn for setting up an ESP solar shed.

I like the idea of cutting out the R-Pi-ZW that I had started to use (and which apparently has died).
cicciocb
Site Admin

Post by cicciocb »

Maybe someone here can publish a version for the ESP32?